Properties of Light
Part 1 - Select the best answer
Which has a longer wavelength, orange or violet light?
2. Which has a higher energy, x-rays or gamma rays?
3. Which has a lower frequency, radio waves or green light?
4. Which has the shortest wavelength, violet or ultraviolet light?
5. Which has lower energy, infrared light or x-rays?
Part 2 - Fill in the blanks
_______________ formed a theory to explain the structure of an atom by revising
7. As the energy level increases, the amount of energy an electron will possess _______________.
8. Electrons give off energy in finite amounts called _______________ when returning to the ground state.
9. When this energy is released in the form of light it is called a _______________.
10. The speed of light = _______________ (give number and units)
11. The symbol for wavelength is _______________.
12. In the equation c = λ . ν, c represents _______________, ν represents _______________, and
λ represents _______________.
13. In the equation c = λ . ν, λ and ν are _______________ proportional.
14. In the equation E = h . ν, h represents _______________ and E represents _______________.
15. In the equation E = h . ν, E and ν are _______________ proportional.
16. Bohr chose the element _______________ to prove his theory.
Part 3 - True or False
Electrons may regularly occupy spaces between orbitals.
18. The varying wavelengths on the electromagnetic radiation spectrum travel at different speeds.
19. Atoms release energy when electrons jump to higher energy levels.